Shipyard Competent Person
Portsmouth, VA 23704
The Shipyard Competent Person is responsible for daily confined and enclosed inspections of vessels, vessel sections, piers, docks and buildings. Comply with and maintain Marine Chemist Certificates and Shipyard Competent Persons (SCP) logs of inspection and tests. Calibrate and use atmospheric testing equipment and interoperate results. Ensuring compliance with safety / health regulations, company policies and procedures, consensus standards, and customer requirements. Identifying and facilitating corrections of potential hazards, hazards and infractions, or ceasing operations until corrected. Areas of concern: life and safety codes, safe work practices, personal protective equipment, slips, trips, fall protections, fire prevention, confined and enclosed space entry, hazard communication standards and Global Harmonizing System, electrical safety, machine guarding, etc.
Shipyard Competent Person* Required Skills and Education Minimum education requirements:* High School Diploma/GED
Shipyard Competent Person* Minimum certification requirements:* Current OSHA Maritime 10 Hour training, 24 Hour and 8 hour Shipyard Competent Person training.
Shipyard Competent Person Job Overview:
- Previous experience as a safety technician or inspector in a maritime environment.
- Interact with employees, management, customers, subcontractors and regulatory agencies.
- Ability to provide training to groups of various sizes.
- Perform evaluation and testing in various environments including but not limited to noise, illumination, atmospheric conditions (confined spaces), ensuring proper working environments are established and maintained.
- Knowledge and skills of computer use and programs using Microsoft Office programs Word, Excel. Populate and maintain department data bases, archiving, report writing, maintaining files, etc. Capable to work in a variety of physically demanding environments and weather conditions. Including climbing, bending, crawling, working at heights, inside of enclosed and confined spaces, heat, rain, wind, etc.
- Must be able to acquire and maintain a government access badge.
- This position is subject to overtime to include weekends and holidays.
- Valid driver' s license.
At NSC Technologies our company culture is strong! You work hard for us and in return we want to provide you with as many benefits and resources as we can:
- Competitive pay
- Medical Coverage *
- Dental *
- Vision *
- Direct deposit or Global Cash Card
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Training and Career Growth Opportunities
- The chance to be a part of an amazing team
NSC Technologies is committed to connecting good people with good jobs!
NSC is an innovative staffing firm that specializes in placing qualified skilled, technical and professional talent in virtually any market. Our meticulous dedication to Quality and Safety is a testament to our success. We are The Staffing Experts!
NSC Technologies is a drug free company. NSC is an EOE AA/M/F/VHo/D.