Shipyard Competent Person
Honolulu, HI 96819
Location: Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam
NSC Technologies is hiring a Shipyard Competent Person to support Pearl Harbor, HI.
The Shipyard Competent Person is responsible for:
- Coordinates all work functions in confined and enclosed spaces by performing atmospheric testing to ensure the space is safe for workers and safe for hot work.
- Conduct Atmospheric testing and space inspections to determine that the area is safe for workers and hot work.
- Maintain and ensure calibration of atmospheric testing equipment.
- Maintain records on inspections and tests.
- Applies gas free work scope process to production needs while ensuring compliance to NFPA 306 and associated regulatory requirements.
- Evaluates and coordinates the requirement for Marine Chemist required inspections.
- Test hollow structures for explosive atmosphere and recommends safe work practices.
- Conduct training in confined and enclosed space entry. Monitor sub-contractors production activities to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements and contractual safety standards.
- High School Diploma/GED
- Current OSHA Maritime 10 Hour training, 24 Hour and 8 hour Shipyard Competent Person training.
- Previous experience as a safety technician or inspector in a maritime environment.
- Interact with employees, management, customers, subcontractors and regulatory agencies.
- Ability to provide training to groups of various sizes.
- Perform evaluation and testing in various environments including but not limited to noise, illumination, atmospheric conditions (confined spaces), ensuring proper working environments are established and maintained.
- Knowledge and skills of computer use and programs using Microsoft Office programs Word, Excel. Populate and maintain department data bases, archiving, report writing, maintaining files, etc.
- Capable to work in a variety of physically demanding environments and weather conditions. Including climbing, bending, crawling, working at heights, inside of enclosed and confined spaces, heat, rain, wind, etc. The job is performed primarily on board vessels, ships, crafts and barges; however 5% of the job is performed shore side, in piping and electrical tunnels. May be exposed to extreme heat, cold, noise, heights and confined spaces. Administrative tasks such as computer entry, record retention, and filing make up 30% of the job and are performed in an office environment.
- Must be able to acquire and maintain a government access badge.
- This position is subject to overtime to include weekends and holidays.
- Valid driver' s license.
At NSC Technologies our company culture is strong! You work hard for us and in return we want to provide you with as many benefits and resources as we can:
- Competitive pay
- Medical Coverage *
- Dental *
- Vision *
- Direct deposit or Global Cash Card
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Training and Career Growth Opportunities
- The chance to be a part of an amazing team
NSC Technologies is committed to connecting good people with good jobs!
NSC is an innovative staffing firm that specializes in placing qualified skilled, technical and professional talent in virtually any market. Our meticulous dedication to Quality and Safety is a testament to our success. We are The Staffing Experts!
NSC Technologies is a drug free company. NSC is an EOE AA/M/F/VHo/D.
Job Type: Full-time