Air Conditioning Technician
National City, CA
Job Locations: San Diego, CA
Summary: Under routine supervision, installs new machines or heavy equipment according to layout plans, blueprints, or other drawings, and dismantles and installs machines or heavy equipment when changes in the plant layout are required. Installs, services, and repairs environmental-control systems, utilizing knowledge of refrigeration and steam theory, pipefitting and structural layout. Repairs systems that utilize a variety of methods for air conditioning and heating such as mechanical compression, vapor compression, absorption, steam jet or air cycle. Capability of repairing a variety of domestic and commercial refrigeration units such as walk in and reach in coolers, refrigerators, water coolers, freezers, juice dispensers, and other equipment of comparable complexity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Mounts compressor and condenser units, using hand tools, following blueprints or engineering specifications.
- Plans and lays out work; interpreting blueprints or other specifications making standard shop computations relating to stresses, strength of materials, and centers of gravity .
- Inserts shims, adjust tension on nuts and bolts, or position parts, using hand tools and measuring instruments, to set specified clearances between moving and stationary parts.
- Aligns machines and equipment, using hoists, jacks, hand tools, squares, rules, micrometers, and plumb bobs.
- Assembles and installs equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
- Lays out mounting holes, using measuring instruments, and drill holes with power drill.
- Assists /signals crane operator to lower and position basic assembly units to bedplates of machines and equipment, and align unit to centerline.
- Supports other trades as required to include assisting in rigging, disassembly, reassembly and inspection of mechanical and electrical equipment, systems, and components.
- Replaces defective parts of machine or adjust clearances and alignment of moving parts.
- Levels bedplate and establish centerline, using straightedge, levels, and transit.
- Dismantles machines, using hammers, wrenches, crowbars, and other hand tools.
- Moves machinery and equipment, using hoists, dollies, rollers, and trucks.
- Fabricates, assembles and installs ductwork and chassis parts, using portable metalworking tools and welding equipment.
- Installs evaporator unit in chassis or in air-duct system, using hand tools.
- Cuts and bends tubing to correct length and shape, using cutting and bending equipment and tools. Cuts and threads pipe using machine-threading or hand-threading equipment.
- Joins tubing or pipes to various refrigerating units by means of sleeves, couplings or unions, and solders joints, using torch, forming complete circuit for refrigerant.
- Installs expansion and discharge valves in circuit. Connects motors, compressors, temperature controls, humidity controls and circulating ventilation fans to control panels and connects control panels to power source.
- Installs air and water filters in completed installation.
- Injects small amount of refrigerant into compressor to test systems and adds freon gas to build up prescribed operating pressure.
- Observes pressure and vacuum gauges and adjusts controls to ensure proper operation.
- Tests joints and connections for gas leaks, using gauges or soap-and-water solution. Wraps pipes in insulation batting and secures them in place.
- Replaces defective breaker controls, thermostats, switches, fuses and electrical wiring to repair installed units, using electrician s hand tools and test equipment.
- May install, repair and service air conditioning units ranging from small window units to centralized units up to 300 tons cooling capacity.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years of related work experience
- Knowledge of Navy ship configuration, preferred
- Experience troubleshooting and repair of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration systems.
- Follow blueprint design specifications and manufacturer' s instructions to install motors, compressors, condensing units, piping and other components.
- Connect equipment to ductwork, refrigerant lines and electrical power sources.
- Able to troubleshoot, perform/assist in operational testing, removals/installations, alignments, assembly/disassembly and equipment inspections.
- Communicate verbally and electronically.
- Frequent standing, sitting, walking, handling, feeling with hands, reaching with arms.
- Regular communication (hearing/speaking).
- See details at close range (within a few feet of the observer) and ability to see details at a distance.
- Able to move in narrow and restricted passageways, up/down steep and narrow ladders or stairways, and up and down antenna masts/yardarms (onboard ships).
- Bend, stretch, twist, or reach with your body, arms, and/or legs.
- Keep hand and arm steady while moving arm or while holding arm and hand in one position and to make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects of varying sizes.
- Occasional stooping, kneeling, and crouching.
- Occasional lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Noise conditions range from very quiet to some noise.
- Machine shop environment.
FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION PLEASE CONTACT A RECRUITER AT: Michelle 619-795-4350
PLEASE EMAIL OR FAX YOUR RESUME TO: 619-795-4356
NSC Technologies is dedicated to being the most trusted provider of innovative staffing solutions servicing the global Marine, Energy, Commercial and Industrial marketplace. We achieve long term, meaningful relationships by exceeding customer expectations and enhancing the quality of life for our employees. NSC Technologies is committed to community service and stewardship of customer resources.
NSC Technologies has opportunities throughout the United States Please visit our jobs page at http://jobs.Nsc-tech.Com
NSC Technologies is a drug free company.
NSC is an EOE AA/M/F/V/D